You will often hear on social media that hashtags are dead. I can assure you that they are not.
When a large account with tons of followers makes a post, their need for hashtags isn't the same as a small account because their content will automatically be shown to all of their followers. The algorithm already pushes their content because...they're a large account, with tons of followers, lots of engagement etc.
Hashtags are like keywords and you can use them to help reach your social media goals. The smaller the account, the more important hashtags will be as a part of your overall social media strategy. Let's talk hashtags!
1. Improved Discoverability: Hashtags make your content discoverable to a wider audience. When users search for or click on a specific hashtag, they can find all posts that have used that hashtag, increasing the reach of your content beyond just your followers.
2. Categorization and Organization: Hashtags help categorize and organize content around specific topics or themes. This makes it easier for users to find content that aligns with their interests and allows you to target specific niche audiences.
3. Increased Engagement: Using relevant hashtags can lead to increased engagement on your posts. Studies have shown that posts with hashtags tend to receive more likes, comments, and shares, as they attract users who are interested in the particular hashtag topic.
4. Trend Participation: By using trending hashtags, you can join larger conversations and capitalize on popular topics. This can result in your content being exposed to a broader audience and potentially going viral.
5. Branding and Campaigns: Hashtags can be used to promote your brand or specific marketing campaigns. Creating a unique branded hashtag allows you to unify your content and encourage user-generated content related to your brand.
6. Cross-Platform Consistency: Hashtags are used across various social media platforms, providing consistency in your branding efforts. A hashtag used on one platform can be employed on others, reinforcing your brand message.
7. Event and Content Promotion: Hashtags are widely used for event promotion and content launches. They help generate buzz and encourage people to participate in or follow a specific event or content series.
8. Social Listening and Analytics: Tracking the performance of specific hashtags can provide valuable insights into your audience's interests and preferences. This data can help inform your future content and marketing strategies.
9. Influencer Marketing: Hashtags play a significant role in influencer marketing campaigns. Working with influencers who use specific branded hashtags can amplify your brand's message and reach their engaged audience.
10. Community Building: Hashtags create a sense of community among users interested in a common topic. Engaging with users who use the same hashtags can lead to meaningful interactions and foster a loyal following.
When using hashtags, it's essential to choose relevant and popular ones that align with your content and target audience. Avoid overusing hashtags and opt for a mix of broad and specific ones to maximize their impact. By incorporating hashtags strategically, you can enhance your social media presence, increase engagement, and reach a wider audience.